Services | Pricing | Installation | FAQ | Email List | In The News
- What are the minimum RAM and FLASH requirements to run white dwarf linux?
16MB RAM. 16MB FLASH.
- What is the minimal install size for wdlinx v2.2.0?
- Is there any way I can get white dwarf linux on CD for install?
As of version 1.1, White Dwarf Linux supports a CD install, the current version is 2.2.0:
wdlinux 2.2.0 ISO available here. (353 MB)
- How can I compile and install packages in white dwarf linux?
Get the install_devtools.pl script from:
Run the following commands:
mv install_devtools.pl devtools
Installation from CD is also possible, insert wdlinux 2.2.0 cd and run:
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
devtools is ~500MB and will take some time to download and install.
You must have internet access to install devtools, even from a CD.
- How can I install opennnms v1.2 on wdlinux?
Make sure you are running wd.2.2.
Then download the files from this ftp directory:
To install from the wdlinux 2.2.0 CD run these commands first:
mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
Then follow these directions:
Run these commands (one by one, don't copy and paste):
sudo -u postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
sudo -u postgres /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
./java -jar /usr/local/opennms/lib/opennms_install.jar -disU
In order to have opennms start up on boot please add these commands to your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file:
For more info on running opennms 1.2 visit www.opennms.org.
- Will white dwarf linux work on the DIMM-PC 386-IE with 8 MByte-DRAM and 16 MBytes of Flash?
white dwarf linux version 1.1 will load on the DIMM-PC 386-IE. (unsupported)
- I am getting a number of fsck errors. What do i do?
Set the clock in the BIOS to the correct time. If you have not done that, the system thinks the hard drive filesystem has gone too long without being checked.
If possible, make sure you are using ext3 or reiserfs which are both journalling filesystems and therefore are better at recovering from unsafe reboots.
- How do I list the contents of a package?
Grab the package and do a: tar ztvf package_name.tgz This will give you the whole list of files conatined in that package.
or even better: less package_name.tgz
- How do I start pcmcia services after the install?
Run these commands:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia
- How do I start pure-ftpd?
Run these commands:
chmod +x /etc/rc.d/rc.ftpd
- Do you plan to package OpenSSH in the distribution?
OpenSSH 3.9p1 is part of the base package in 2.2.0.
- How do I start pure-ftpd in non-chroot mode?
Remove the -A from the first line in /etc/rc.d/rc.ftpd
- What does the basic kernel support?
PCI, ISA, Mini-PCI, PC/104, Compact PCI and PCMCIA bus support
ELF and MISC (via module) binaries support
MTD support (DOC2000, but not for booting from)
Serial and parallel support
Block Devices supported: Floppy, IDE, DAC960, aic7xxx, aha1542, NCR53C8xx, Buslogic, ICP Vortex (SCSI hardware RAID 0,1,5, 10 and 50), RAM disk, Network Block, Loopback, Firewire, USB
software RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, and 50
IPv4, IPv6, IP tunneling, netfilter, QoS
ext2/3, reiserfs, HFS, HFS+, DOS, VFAT, JFFS, JFFS2, ISO9660, jfs, minix,NFS
supported ethernet cards
Orinoco (802.11b cards, client only)
HostAP (prism2 and prism2.5 802.11b cards)
madwifi (atheros 802.11a,b,g cards)
prism54 (prism54 802.11g cards)
- How do I reboot?
shutdown -r now
- How do I halt the system for power down?
shutdown -h now
- How do I add a user?
- Does white dwarf linux have any support for graphic programs?
SVGAlib is available during the optional section of the installation.
It is also available on the web here.
- Will white dwarf linux support Real Time Linux?
Realtime should work, but will not be offered as part of white dwarf linux until sometime after 3.0. However, you should be able to compile in the patches yourself if you need it now.
- Can SAMBA be added to white dwarf linux?
You can download the SAMBA tools from the Slackware website.
- Can NFS be added to white dwarf linux?
You can download the NFS tools from the Slackware website.
- I want to download white dwarf linux from your ftp server, but the server is down.
The ftp server will only accept connections from hosts with correct DNS mapping AND reverse ip mapping. If you are behind a firewall, then your firewall's ip will have to be setup as above.